Updated- Closed April 2017 Read here for more information
Darby's Top Reasons to Love this Hike!
- A new 3.2 mile off-leash trail area for dogs. A short walk within the enclosed fence (.8 miles), and an addition 2.5 miles of enclosed trails. Includes tiny creek and is partially wheelchair accessible.
- Views of Bergen Peak, and surrounding hills.
- A well integrated ecosystem with plenty of aspen and pine trees and beautiful wildflowers to receive my daily "pee-mail". Known for sighting elk, mule deer, birdwatching, and other mountain wild life.
- Connects to 1,100 acres of multi-terrain trails in the Elk Meadow Park through peaks- Bergen Peak (9.4 round trip), and valleys- the Elk Meadow Loop (3.5 miles round trip).
- Elk Meadow has a rich history of hunters and nomads (Utes, Cheyenne, Arapahoe) who used the area as a route to the mountains, to settlement in the 1850's, various homestead ownership, and is now maintained by Jefferson County Open Space.
County: Jefferson County
Round Trip Length: Varies: from 0.6 to 13.1, you can choose your ease and length. Bikes are not allowed on some of the trails.
Start and End Elevation: Varies, easy with a small gain at the dog park. Elk Meadow Loop has about 500 ft elevation gain, and Bergen Peak has a 2000 ft elevation gain
Skill Level: Easy for hikers and walkers at the dog park Elk Meadow Loop is easy to moderate; and Bergen Peak is moderate to strenuous.
Pet Regulations: Dogs are allowed off-leash at the dog park only; on-leash everywhere else.
Weather: Spring to Fall
Bikes: Yes, not at the dog park
Picnic Tables: Yes
Restroom : Yes
Directions from Boulder, Denver and east: I-70 to Evergreen Parkway (hwy 74), go about 5.5 miles to Stagecoach Rd and make a right. Go about 1.5 miles to the parking lot. Note: the lot gets full quickly and there are spaces on the road to park. Please keep your dog leashed from your car to the park entrance.
Enter from Bergen Peak drive, about .5 miles north of Stagecoach Rd if you want to hike the on-leash only trails.