Bucchanan Pass Trail- Middle St. Vrain- Boulder County
Darby's Favorite Reasons to Love this Hike:
- New favorite hike! With many creek crossings and areas to take a little dip (or sip), I declare the Middle St. Vrain Creek to be one of the most delicious creeks in Boulder County. Cools me off in the summer time heat.
- Firs, aspens, conifers, wildflowers, low moss, bushes, marshy expanses, large granite boulders, sooooo many places to sniff around.
- Hike to the top, or hike to your comfort level- we went in about 2.2 miles to Timberline Falls.You can continue over an old footbridge to Coney Flats and beyond (3.85 miles) for views of Mt Audubon (13,223'), St Vrain Mountain (12,162'), and Sawtooth Mountain (12,304').
- Share the trail with bikes, alpaca, horses, other doggies, and adventuring campers.
- Not too far from Boulder; it beats the roads going west (I-70 and Hwy 285), with little to no traffic, for your autumn golden aspen viewing pleasure.
One way distance: to the Falls (2.2 miles), to the Coney Flats (3.35-3.85 miles)
Skill Level: Moderate, not a lot of elevation gain, but the terrain is rocky enough to wear good hiking boots.
Elevation: Start 8700' End 9600'
Dogs off leash: Yes, obey the rules sight and sound, or keep the doggies on a leash
Picnic tables: Yes, by the campground parking lot
Bathrooms: Yes, by the entrance to the campsites
Directions: from Boulder: from Canyon Blvd/Hwy 119- go west until you reach Nederland. Go North on Hwy 72 about 20 miles, passed the town of Ward, and turn left at the sign for Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley. Go all the way to the end at the Camp Dick campsite (1.3 miles), and follow the 4x4 trail towards the Middle St. Vrain trail. The entrance is 1/4 in to the right (not to the left). Follow the running water and you'll be on the right trail.
From Lyons: go west on Hwy 7 towards Allens Park. Once you reach Hwy 72, go south (left) for 4 miles, until you see the sign for Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley. Make a right and go all the way to the end at the Camp Dick campsite (1.3 miles), and follow the 4x4 trail towards the Middle St. Vrain trail. The entrance is 1/4 in to the right (not to the left). Follow the running water and you'll be on the right trail.